Playing on the Colours.
Again this year the Band was invited to escort the Royal British Legion Remembrance Sunday Parade in Dingwall.
This year, we fielded an extremely young drum corps, due to unavailability of senior members. Nonetheless the drummers (the eldest was our bass drummer, who is only 18!!) did a superb job – as of course did the rather more experienced Pipe Corps and Drum Major.
We had seven pipers (3 female) and 7 drummers (5 females), plus the Drum Major on parade – plus two other kilted members, namely our Transport/Logistics Manager – and another chap who as usual took lots of photographs!!
The temperature was rather low – as it usually is for this very moving event.
Dingwall is the county town of Ross-shire and home to the 78th Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs). The 78th duly merged with the 72nd (The Duke of Albany’s) to become the Seaforth Highlanders.
The Seaforths combined with the Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders to form the Queen’s Own Highlanders in 1961. More recently, the Queens Own Highlanders and Gordon Highlanders were combined to form The Highlanders (Seaforth, Gordons and Camerons). In May 2006 all the Scottish Infantry Regiments merged to form the Royal Regiment of Scotland. The Highlanders became the 4th Battalion of the new Regiment.
Dingwall has THREE War Memorials, the earliest being the stone Celtic cross to commemorate the 180 men who fell in the Highland Brigade, Seaforth 2nd Battalion during the South Africa Campaign (Boer War)(1899-1902) where they fought at Modder River and Magersfontein.
The second Memorial (the National) is located outside the National Hotel, and is topped by the life-size figure of a First World War Tommy (Jock) wearing a tin helmet and kilt and carrying a rifle with bayonet fixed. That memorial initially was erected to commemorate the men of the Parish of Dingwall who fell in the Great War 1914-1918 and was subsequently updated to incorporate those Dingwall men who fell in 1939-1945.
The third monument, outside Dingwall Railway Station, was originally erected at the scene of the Battle of Cambrai in Northern France (1917) where the Seaforth Territorials distinguished themselves by their valour. The monument (a wooden cross) complete with tablets added by the locals of Cambrai was subsequently moved to Dingwall.
The procession on Remembrance Day starts from the British Legion premises in High Street, down the length of High Street, to the National Hotel where the Service is held in front of the Great War Memorial. Then the parade continues on past the South Africa Memorial and thence the Railway Station, passing the Cambrai cross before looping back to return up the High Street and back to the British Legion premises.
Great Addo and Surrounds Accommodation Choices: Addo, Eastern Cape | Addo Village, Addo | Addo Elephant National Park, Eastern Cape | Greater Addo Route, Eastern Cape | Sunland, Addo | Colchester, Addo | Kirkwood, Addo | Paterson, Addo | Alicedale, Addo | Zuurberg, Addo