A holiday takes on a whole new form when traveling as a family, especially with young kids. Let me start by pointing out that this article is a positive look at family travel! Obviously it’s an absolute pleasure to explore Africa with two inquisitive youngsters constantly bombarding you with questions and giving you the run-around when it comes to keeping them entertained, but it takes some planning to ensure you stay at family friendly places and visit destinations that keep the kids safe.
An African safari…with the kids!? Here’s a few pointers to keep things simple:
1. Choose the destination carefully. In Africa there is the reality of safety and health that needs to be kept in mind when traveling with young kids.
2. Pick your accommodation with kids in mind. This doesn’t just mean the sleeping arrangements are family friendly, but also the set up of the property you choose to stay is child friendly.
3. Make sure there’s more than enough to do for the kids – keep them busy and they’ll be happy. Over and above kids activities many places offer child minders and baby sitters, so it allows you free time to relax while the kids are having fun.
4. Pack in a way that makes family travel easy. For self drive holidays, have books, games and activities available to make the longer journeys fun.
Ok, back to our family safari. We decided to explore the Greater Addo area situated around the famous Addo Elephant National Park in the Eastern Cape of South Africa. We wanted to visit some of the larger wilderness areas and game reserves, while not excluding the little gems along the way. These came in the form of quaint little towns, homely farm stalls, secluded beaches and even a few dirt tracks leading to beautiful views. Our route included 3 main destinations to overnight – Kwandwe Private Game Reserve, Addo Elephant National Park and Shamwari Private Game Reserve. These were purposefully chosen due to its child-friendly offering. The three game reserves are very different and offer a variety of activities, landscapes and experiences.
Have a look at our Greater Addo Family Safari Self Drive Route on dedicated routes section. We’ve included the map of the route below:
View Greater Addo Discovery in a larger map
Wildlife on safari
If you want to get an insiders view on the three main wildlife destinations we visited, have a look at the separate articles we’ve posted – just click on the links below.
1. Ecca Lodge at Kwandwe Private Game Reserve
2. Addo Main Camp and Matyholweni Rest Camp at Addo Elephant National Park
3. Riverdene Lodge at Shamwari Private Game Reserve Our aim was to visit family friendly places in the Greater Addo area and the kids loved them all!
All three the reserves visited on this route are home to the Big Five (lion, leopard,buffalo,elephant and rhino), but to make the most of
Article source: http://thesafaricompany.co.za/travelblog/?p=1598